As a busy small business owner, I know that getting a good night’s sleep is essential for overall health and well-being. Sleep is when our bodies and minds rest and repair, and it’s when we consolidate memories and process emotions.
Not getting enough sleep can have a negative impact on your cognitive function, mood, weight, and immune system. Also, when you’re sleep deprived, you may have trouble thinking clearly, making decisions, and learning new information. You may also be more likely to get into accidents, experience mood problems like anxiety and depression, gain weight, and get sick.
We know we need sleep. We crave sleep. So how can we get more, and better quality, sleep?
- Establish a regular sleep schedule and stick to it as much as possible, even on weekends.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine. This could include taking a warm bath, reading a book, or listening to calming music.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark, quiet, and cool. When I travel I have a hard time sleeping unless I set the room at 64 degrees!
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed.
- Get regular exercise, but not too close to bedtime. For most people that is 3 hours before the time you want to fall asleep.
- Make sure your mattress and pillows are comfortable. Are your sheets clean and do they have a relaxing smell like lavender?
- Avoid using electronic devices in bed. The light from electronic devices can interfere with sleep. Yes, even if you use black mode.
- Get regular sunlight exposure during the day. Sunlight helps to regulate your body’s natural sleep-wake cycle.
- If you can’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy. Lying in bed awake, getting more angry and frustrated, can make it harder to fall asleep.
What if you’re doing all that and still can’t get decent sleep? Perhaps your body needs a gentle nudge to break bad habits or to help you form a healthy sleep cycle.
The Flower Pot has some products which may help.
Our Starlight 3000 CBD tincture uses lion’s mane, linalool, reishi, ashwagandha, nerolidol, and myrcene to encourage feeling of serenity and achieve rejuvenating sleep.
Bliss tea is a calming blend of cocoa, rosehips, and other herbs – but the star of the show is passionflower. Calming without leaving you with a “morning after” feeling.
If you need something just occasionally, you can look into our pineapple gummies which provide total body relaxation so you can just drift off.
Getting a good night’s sleep is essential for your health and well-being. Sweet dreams!
Disclaimer: This is not medical advice. See a doctor if you have trouble sleeping for more than two weeks. There may be an underlying medical condition that is interfering with your sleep.
Join Our Mailing List!
Sign up and be the first to know about specials, promotions and our latest articles on health and wellness.
Cara Schulz, a cancer survivor and green tea lover, has opened The Flower Pot, a holistic wellness shop in Burnsville that offers products ranging from medicinal teas and wellness tonics and herbal tinctures.